Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Take a Break


I'm going to be a total hypocrite on this one. I'm sitting here with my back on fire because it's so stiff, and I've spent the better part of the afternoon emailing with Jessi about promo stuff. She's overloaded with work, and she won't be able to work on promo until the winter when things... slow down.

I start a new job in a week. I'll be working the usual corporate 8 and then book ending my day with writing and promo stuff. I'm not sure what will happen first. I'll get a chronic crick in my neck or I'll get fat.

Take a Break!

 

I'm not really sure how to tell you to take a break since I don't follow my own advice, but I do think it's important for your creative self. If you're in a fog, you need a break. If you piddle more than you work, you need a break, so figure out how to take one. If getting away is out of the question then:

  • Take a daily walk
  • Exercise
  • Ride your bike
  • Meditate
  • Read a trashy novel
Most of the time, I could get away if I'd just do it, but I tell myself that I can't. It comes with the fatigue. Denial. Can't, can't, can't.


Folks, we have to take care of ourselves. Otherwise, that stress just builds up in the body and makes us sick and unlikeable.

Try Something New

 

If the things you love to do seem boring or uninteresting, then you're probably burned out. Try something new. If you're a folk singer, write a rock song. Go to a jazz club. If you're a promoter, stay out of the clubs and off the internet for a day or two. Try a hike. Give up drinking.


The only way to survive this music business is to get a change of venue every once in awhile. Even healthy practices can become rote, so mix it up. Take a break! Really refresh. It will be good for your creative spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment